The Television Academy, the only major organization devoted to the television and broadband screen entertainment industry, is made up of over 20,000 members, representing 29 professional peer groups, including performers, directors, producers, art directors and various other artisans, technicians and executives.
The Television Academy recognizes excellence through its many annual award programs:
- The Emmy Awards, telecast prior to the fall television premiere season, is the flagship event for which the Television Academy is best known.
- The Creative Arts Emmy Awards, usually held a week before the Primetime event, presents Emmys in dozens of technical, creative and craft categories.
- The Engineering Emmy Awards acknowledge accomplishments in the advancement of television technology.
- Inductees into the Television Academy Hall of Fame are a distinguished group of innovators and icons who have made a lasting impact on television through their work.
- The Television Academy Honors recognizes television programming that creates awareness, enlightens, educates and/or positively motivates audiences.
Sister organizations, the National Academy and International Academy, also award Emmy statuettes for accomplishment among their members.
How to Join
Membership in the Television Academy is open to those persons who are or who have been actively engaged in activities related to the production or distribution of audio visual works for national exhibition by means of telecommunications.
The strength of the Television Academy is the member base. With over 22,000 members divided into 29 peer groups, the Television Academy represents television professionals from every field.
You must satisfy the requirements of your peer group, provide the minimum credits required and list a contact for employment verification. Then you may apply online. All the necessary forms for application, reinstatement or other membership changes can also be found here.
Processing time for applications is 4-6 weeks.
Visit the Television Academy website for more about how to join, become an Emmys voter, and more.